- This event has passed.
A Virtual Launch Event: Testifying to the Truth Digital Resource and Panel Discussion
January 28, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Sharon Kangisser-Cohen, Mark Roseman, Christine Schmidt and Jenifer Ball
We are delighted to announce the upcoming publication of our new digital resource, Testifying to the Truth. This online database shares eyewitness accounts from the Holocaust, many of which have never been available to the public online before and have been translated, by a team of the Library’s volunteers, into English for the first time.
In the 1950s, Dr Eva Reichmann, the Library’s Director of Research, embarked on an ambitious effort to collect eyewitness accounts from those who had lived through the Holocaust. Over the course of seven years, this initiative resulted in the gathering of more than 1,300 written reports in seven different languages. The launch of the first 380 translated and digitised accounts will see the work started by Dr Reichmann in 1945 made fully accessible to the public. The rest of the 1,185 testimonies will be released later this year.
Chaired by Dr Toby Simpson, the Director of The Wiener Holocaust Library, the panellists discussed the history of the collection, the context of early Holocaust testimonies, the significance of the collection for scholarship, and the project of translation:
- Christine Schmidt, Deputy Director and Head of Research, Wiener Holocaust Library.
- Jenifer Ball, Translator at The Wiener Holocaust Library.
- Sharon Kangisser-Cohen, Director at Eli and Diana Zborwoski Centre for the Study of the Aftermath of the Holocaust and Editor, Yad Vashem Studies.
- Mark Roseman, Distinguished Professor of History, Pat M Glazer Chair in Jewish Studies, Adjunct Professor in Germanic Studies. Indiana University.
We are thankful to the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government whose support has enabled us to widen the access to this unique collection.
Watch back now:
The Wiener Holocaust Library is a registered charity and we rely on our friends and supporters to continue and develop our vital work. Please consider making a donation today.Book now
We need your support more than ever. Help us preserve the truth.
We are an independent charity dependent on your support. We need to raise over a quarter of a million pounds each year for our work to continue and this is only possible with your help.
With your support we can continue to;
- Be a world leading Holocaust archive
- Offer a vital learning resource to oppose anti-Semitism and other forms of prejudice.
- Reach out to our worldwide audience of over two million people
- Preserve our archive for future generations so they can learn the lessons of the past
- Provide a free program of public events and exhibitions