- This event has passed.
Virtual Book Talk: Violence in Defeat: The Wehrmacht on German Soil 1944-45
October 4, 2021 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
As part of our new academic book series, the Library is delighted to host a talk with Dr Bastiaan Willems on his book, Violence in Defeat: The Wehrmacht on German Soil, 1944-45.
In the final year of the Second World War, as bitter defensive fighting moved to German soil, a wave of intra-ethnic violence engulfed the country. Willems offers the first study into the impact and behaviour of the Wehrmacht on its own territory, focusing on the German units fighting in East Prussia and its capital Königsberg. He shows that the Wehrmacht’s retreat into Germany, after three years of brutal fighting on the Eastern Front, contributed significantly to the spike of violence which occurred throughout the country immediately prior to defeat. Soldiers arriving with an ingrained barbarised mindset, developed on the Eastern Front, shaped the immediate environment of the area of operations, and of Nazi Germany as a whole. Willems establishes how the norms of the Wehrmacht as a retreating army impacted behavioural patterns on the home front, arguing that its presence increased the propensity to carry out violence in Germany.
About the speaker:
Dr Bastiaan Willems is a Leverhulme Abroad Fellow at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich. Formerly, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow of Modern European History at University College London.
1. The Library will send you a Zoom link and joining instructions via email prior to the event. Please check your junk email folders.
2. Please try and join 5 minutes before the event start time and we will let you into the room (do try and bear with us if this takes a few minutes).
3. If you would like to ask a question during the event, please type your question into the chat function, and we will endeavour to answer as many questions as possible during the Q&A. Your webcam will not be seen during this event.
4. The event will be recorded for the Library’s YouTube channel and will be shared at a later date.
We need your support more than ever. Help us preserve the truth.
We are an independent charity dependent on your support. We need to raise over a quarter of a million pounds each year for our work to continue and this is only possible with your help.
With your support we can continue to;
- Be a world leading Holocaust archive
- Offer a vital learning resource to oppose anti-Semitism and other forms of prejudice.
- Reach out to our worldwide audience of over two million people
- Preserve our archive for future generations so they can learn the lessons of the past
- Provide a free program of public events and exhibitions