Virtual Book Talk: We Share the Same Sky
July 21 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
A joint event with The Ark Synagogue and The Wiener Holocaust Library.
To mark the forthcoming publication of Rachael Cerrotti’s new memoir, which follows on from her award-winning podcast, We Share the Same Sky, join The Wiener Holocaust Library and The Ark Synagogue to hear Rachael in conversation with Stephen D. Smith about the book and the genesis and development of the project. We Share The Same Sky documents Cerrotti’s decade-long journey to weave together the thin threads of her family history, and, in particular, the story of her grandmother’s experiences during the Holocaust. The project is an intergenerational diary of love, loss and the will to move forward in the face of uncertainty.
About the speakers:
Rachael Cerrotti is an award-winning photographer, writer, educator and audio producer as well as the inaugural Storyteller in Residence for USC Shoah Foundation. For over a decade, she has been retracing her grandmother’s Holocaust survival story and documenting the echoes of WWII. In the fall of 2019, she released her critically-acclaimed podcast, titled We Share The Same Sky, about this story. The podcast is now being taught in classrooms worldwide. Rachael’s memoir, also titled ‘We Share The Same Sky’ will be published this summer and is now available for pre-order. Learn more at: www.rachaelcerrotti.com & www.sharethesamesky.com
Dr. Stephen D. Smith is Finci-Viterbi Endowed Executive Director of the USC Shoah Foundation. He is adjunct Professor of Religion at the University of Southern California, he is a theologian by training. Smith founded the UK Holocaust Centre in England and co-founded the Aegis Trust for the prevention of crimes against humanity and genocide. Smith was the project director responsible for the creation of the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre in Rwanda and trustee of the South Africa Holocaust and Genocide Foundation.
1. The Library will send you a Zoom link and joining instructions via email prior to the event. Please check your junk email folders.
2. Please try and join 5 minutes before the event start time and we will let you into the room (do try and bear with us if this takes a few minutes).
3. If you would like to ask a question during the event, please type your question into the chat function, and we will endeavour to answer as many questions as possible during the Q&A. Your webcam will not be seen during this event.
4. The event will be recorded for the Library’s YouTube channel and will be shared at a later date.
This event will be taking place at 7pm BST.
We need your support more than ever. Help us preserve the truth.
We are an independent charity dependent on your support. We need to raise over a quarter of a million pounds each year for our work to continue and this is only possible with your help.
With your support we can continue to;
- Be a world leading Holocaust archive
- Offer a vital learning resource to oppose anti-Semitism and other forms of prejudice.
- Reach out to our worldwide audience of over two million people
- Preserve our archive for future generations so they can learn the lessons of the past
- Provide a free program of public events and exhibitions