The Wiener Holocaust Library continue to actively build and develop our collections and we are currently acquiring material at one of the fastest rates in our history.
Thinking of donating books or family papers?
Thank you for your interest. It is through generous offers such as yours that our collections continue to grow as a public resource.
Unfortunately we are not able to take materials without prior arrangement so please get in touch if you have books, photographs or family papers you would like to donate.
We appreciate donations on the topics of the Holocaust and other genocides, the Second World War, Jewish history and literature, antisemitism and Jewish life both before and after the war. We are happy to consider materials in any language.
How acquisition decisions are made
As you may imagine, we cannot accept all items offered to us and may be unable to accept your offer for a variety of reasons:
- Every potential acquisition needs to be investigated in order to establish that the acquisition is both legal and ethical.
- We might already have examples of items offered.
- Some items may be more appropriate in the archives of another institution. If this is the case we can offer further advice.
- We may be unable to accept items which are in very poor condition or which will occupy a large amount of space.
How we use donated items and collections
When the Library formally acquires new items or collections these additions become available to the public in a number of ways.
Our holdings are a rich and fascinating resource and the foundation of our own exhibitions and websites. They are also used in our education and publication programmes and many items are lent for exhibition to other institutions at home and abroad. All items will be available, once catalogued, for researchers.
The Library will always respect the wishes of donors if they do not wish donations to be used for a certain purpose.
Find out more
For more information about donating items to our collection, download our detailed guidance.
If you would like to speak to our Collections Team about a possible donation, please contact the relevant colleague:
- To donate books, pamphlets and audio-visual materials contact Martina Ravagnan
- To donate documents and family papers contact Howard Falksohn
- To donate periodicals and newsletters contact Sophie Johnston
- To donate photographs contact Torsten Jugl